5 Ways to Improve Bowel Health
5 WAYS TO IMPROVE BOWEL HEALTH
- Adapt a good toileting position. Sit forward with your knees higher than your hips. Use a squatty potty or rest your feet on books/ yoga blocks.
- Avoid straining. Work on relaxing your pelvic floor muscles while the pushing should come from your abdominal muscles.
- Use stool softeners sparingly. Although these can help in the short term with constipation, it also changes the speed at how your colon pushes stool along. Adding prune juice to your diet can be a good alternative.
- Eat foods high in fiber and drink plenty of water. Dehydration can lead to stool being hard and dry, and this will result in constipation and increased straining. Having fiber in your in your diet will bulk up the stool and help move it along.
- Give your belly a good massage. Massage in circular motions or strokes along the path of your colon, starting on the right lower belly and moving upward, across under the ribcage, and then downward toward the left lower belly. Do this a couple of times a day, 10-15 strokes on each area of the abdomen.
Reach me if I can answer any questions on physical therapy, serving you locally in New York City or anywhere online virtually through “telehealth“.
Sign up for Pelvic Health and Wellness Tips